Programme Manager – Sustainability
Salary: £32,000-£44,000 per annum depending upon experience
Planned start date: ASAP
techUK is the trade association which brings together people, companies and organisations to realise the positive outcomes of what digital technology can achieve. With over 1000 members techUK creates a network for innovation and collaboration across business, government and stakeholders to provide a better future for people, society, the economy and the planet. By providing expertise and insight, we support our members, partners and stakeholders as they prepare the UK for what comes next in a constantly changing world.
Overview of techUK’s Climate, Environment & Sustainability Programme
Digital technology is at the forefront of sustainability challenges, both as a major consumer of energy and resources, and in innovating and developing new tech to solve global challenges solving challenges. The overall aim of the programme is to help members understand the increasingly complex sustainability landscape, help them with their own sustainability journey, showcase how tech can deliver more sustainable outcomes, and represent the sector in political and regulatory discussions. The programme has numerous working groups and broadly looks at:
- Climate change and the move to net zero
- ESG disclosures and company reporting
- Business and human rights and ethical business (modern slavery, supply chain transparency etc)
- Circular economy issues and product policy (e-waste, eco-design, resource efficiency, chemicals)
- Biodiversity (although this is nascent)
This role is to support the delivery of techUK’s Climate, Environment and Sustainability Programme by managing various working groups, leading on policy work and representing the sector to senior policy makers and stakeholders. Approximately 20% of this role (1 day per week) will also be spent acting as the environment and sustainability lead for our data centre programme.
- Support the Associate Director in the delivery of techUK’s Climate, Environment and Sustainability Programme.
- Take ownership and responsibility of different techUK member working groups and committees.
- Act as a subject matter expert for members on different sustainability topics.
- Writing high impact briefings and reports on sustainability topics related to the tech sector.
- Influence the shape of UK sustainability policy via leveraging existing and developing new relationships with government departments, regulators and civil society stakeholders, writing consultation responses, parliamentary inquiries and representing the sector to policy makers.
- Attending and speaking at high profile events.
- Draft the monthly newsletter and regular Political Monitor covering topics of interest to members, as well as regular insights and policy/regulatory developments.
- Keeping on top of the ever-changing UK sustainability policy and regulatory landscape.
- Successfully lead, manage, and deliver the programme of webinars, events and meetings, including identifying stakeholders, chairing virtual and in-person briefing events, and running roundtables.
- Raise the profile of the programme through effective use of social media and developing blogs for publication on the techUK website.
- Assist in the finding and recruiting of new members through research and articulating, explaining and selling the benefits of membership.
- Deputise for the Associate Director and Data Centre Head as required.
- A self-motivated individual who is comfortable juggling several projects at once.
- Comfortable dealing with senior stakeholders in business and the public sector.
- Being able to understand and get to grips with highly complex policy and regulatory areas.
- A team player who is comfortable working with relevant teams across techUK.
- Highly effective communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate complex information effectively to a range of audiences.
- Able to articulate, explain and sell the benefits of techUK to a range of audiences from government to potential new members.
Essential knowledge and experience
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of the sustainability challenges facing large tech firms.
- A strong understanding of how sustainability policy is formed.
- Experience dealing with senior stakeholders in business and government.
- An in depth understanding of at least one of the following areas:
- How businesses are implementing net zero and responding to climate change.
- ESG disclosures (ISSB, TCFD, CSRD)
- Business and human rights (modern slavery, conflict minerals, supply chain transparency)
- Circular economy and product policy
- Strong knowledge of public policy and public affairs.
- Experience of writing reports, briefing notes, and responding to government consultations.
- Dealing with complex regulations and explaining them to businesses.
- Has a proven track record and experience of building and managing relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Awareness of how trade associations operate and the role they play.
Desired Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of and passion for the tech sector.
- Experience working in sustainability.
- A proven track record of managing events ensuring accuracy and attention to detail.
- Has an awareness of tech companies’ business models and drivers.
- An awareness of the international landscape on sustainability (EU policies, OECD, UN etc).
This is a full-time role based out of techUK’s London offices (10 St Bride Street, London, EC4A 4AD). However, techUK operates a flexible working policy.
This role profile is a guide to the work that is required but does not form part of any contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK prior to the commencement of employment.
The salary for this role is £32,000-£44,000 per annum based upon experience plus discretionary bonus and comprehensive benefits.
To apply for this role, please send your application with your salary expectations to email@example.com
How to apply
As a proud member of EDAC we encourage applications from a diverse range of applicants. If you want to apply for the position, please send your CV and cover letter (optional) to firstname.lastname@example.org and quote ‘EDAC’ in the subject header
Application deadline: 15 September 2023
Web link: http://techuk.org
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: 02073312047
More about techuk
techUK is the trade association which brings together people, companies, and organisations to realise the positive outcomes of what digital technology can achieve. With over 800 members (the majority of which are SMEs) across the UK, techUK creates a network for innovation and collaboration across business, government, and stakeholders to provide a better future for people, society, the economy, and the planet. By providing expertise and insight, we support our members, partners, and stakeholders as they prepare the UK for what comes next in a constantly changing world.