Programme Manager – Defence
Location: techUK, 10 St Bride Street, London, , EC4A 4AD
Salary: £32,000-£44,000 per annum based upon experience plus discretionary bonus and comprehensive benefits
Planned start date: ASAP
techUK is the trade association which brings together people, companies and organisations to realise the positive outcomes of what digital technology can achieve. With over 1000 members (the majority of which are SMEs) across the UK, techUK creates a network for innovation and collaboration across business, government and stakeholders to provide a better future for people, society, the economy and the planet. By providing expertise and insight, we support our members, partners and stakeholders as they prepare the UK for what comes next in a constantly changing world.
Overview of techUK’s Defence Programmes
The Defence programme works to help the UK’s Defence technology sector align itself with the MOD, specifically with the department’s Defence Digital organisation. The programme aims to help the sector remain at the forefront of technology exploitation and delivers a broad range of market engagement activities which support the MOD as it procures new digital technologies.
This role reports to techUK’s Associate Director for Defence & National Security, and its purpose is to support techUK’s Defence Programme in the delivery of its activities.
This challenging and wide-ranging position provides an opportunity to work with senior level representatives from industry and Government to support the development and implementation of a challenging agenda. The role will encompass the support and development of policy and market engagement activities related to the UK Defence technology sector. This role would suit an articulate and enthusiastic learner, with the ability to support the development of new policy and the delivery of projects and events.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to work within a busy and varied programme, engaging with a variety of industry, military and government stakeholders and will develop a good understanding of the opportunities and challenges in the use of technology for Defence and National Security purposes.
This role requires someone who has the communication skills, confidence and drive to grow their own profile and that of techUK.
- Present techUK as the voice of the technology industry to government departments and key stakeholders, whilst building new relationships and furthering programme priorities. Support the development, implementation and communication of techUK’s Defence activities in a way that meets the needs of existing and potential new members;
- Lead the development, implementation and management of projects, white papers, workshops, and events that aim to resolve shared challenges between the technology industry and the wider economy;
- Lead the set-up and execution of programme events, briefings, and meetings, and manage the activities of the Defence Programme’s Groups and Forums;
- Promote both the Defence programme through insights, opinions, social media activities and PR activities;
- Liaise with other techUK teams to identify and exploit cross-fertilisation opportunities with other programmes across techUK, in particular the National Security Programme
- Support the work of various relevant member boards and committees, maintaining liaison with participating members;
- Deputise for the Associate Director in their absence;
- Any other duties that might from time to time be required by the Associate Director and the techUK leadership team.
Knowledge & Competencies
- A self-motivated individual with a positive can-do approach who is comfortable working with competing demands and responding to tight deadlines;
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate technical and policy information effectively to a range of audiences;
- A team player who has experience of managing relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and is comfortable working with senior individuals in industry;
- Comfortable with public speaking;
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Strong interest in UK Defence operations and policy;
- Strong interest in Cyber Security, innovation, and the UK tech industry;
- Ability to identify, propose and negotiate new opportunities and services for the techUK Defence Programmes;
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
- Good high-level knowledge of technology trends, the technology industry and in particular Defence technology;
- Strong understanding of the workings and structure of the UK Defence sector and the Ministry of Defence, including knowledge of current key policies and strategies within the sector;
- Good understanding of the UK’s wider national security landscape, including knowledge of key national security focused policies and their implications for the wider economy;
- An understanding of the economic, social and political environment, members’ business sectors and business models, stakeholders and their drivers;
- Ability to use the tools and technologies techUK provides; including but not limited to Microsoft Office 365, CRM, mobile and home working software, web tools and social media.
This is a full time role based out of techUK’s London offices, however techUK operates a flexible working policy.
This role profile is a guide to the work that is required but does not form part of any contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK prior to the commencement of employment.
We are proud members of EDAC and welcome applications from diverse backgrounds. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, if you have not heard from us within 3 weeks of applying, please deem your application as unsuccessful on this occasion.
The salary range for this role is £32,000-£44,000 per annum based upon experience plus discretionary bonus and comprehensive benefits.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send an application together with your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: 22 September 2023
Web link: https://www.techuk.org/who-we-are/careers-at-techuk/opportunities/programme-manager-defence.html
Email address: email@example.com
Phone number: 02073312047
More about techuk
techUK is the trade association which brings together people, companies, and organisations to realise the positive outcomes of what digital technology can achieve. With over 800 members (the majority of which are SMEs) across the UK, techUK creates a network for innovation and collaboration across business, government, and stakeholders to provide a better future for people, society, the economy, and the planet. By providing expertise and insight, we support our members, partners, and stakeholders as they prepare the UK for what comes next in a constantly changing world.