Highways Construction Work Placement
Planned start date: 27/06/22
Skanska – M42 Junction 6 Improvements (Solihull)
- Are you currently unemployed?
- Are you struggling to get your foot in the door when it comes to permanent employment?
- Are you unsure on what career path to go down, but would like to see what it would be like to work in construction?
Work placements are a great way to gain relevant experience, build relationships with employers and figure out what the industry has to offer. Our work placements can be flexible to meet your requirements, and they do not have a minimum or maximum duration – though we’d recommend between 1-4 weeks. Depending on your interests, qualifications, and previous experience, we will match you to a position or area within the project that we feel will give you the most exposure or we can look to rotate you around different teams to give you a wider understanding.
Who are we and what are we doing in Solihull?
The M42 Junction 6 Improvements scheme is a small project with a small team to match. It is a welcoming and friendly work environment that puts high importance on our health, safety and wellbeing (HSW). Your placement will be with Skanska, who are the Tier 1 contractor for this project. Our client is National Highways.
Traffic congestion and poor journey reliability have constrained investment and economic growth around the M42 at junction 6. Having almost reached capacity, the junction has become a bottleneck, causing delays across the network.
We know the junction doesn’t have sufficient capacity to accommodate forecast traffic growth beyond 2019, even without the new HS2 station, so we’re building:
- a new 2.4km dual carriageway link road, aligned to the west of Bickenhill
- a new junction (5a) on the M42 motorway, approximately 1.8km south of the existing M42 Junction 6 (Solihull)
- two new roundabouts north of the B4102 Solihull Road on either side of the M42 motorway
- a new overbridge above the A45 near to the Arden Hotel, providing cyclists and walkers with a safer route to cross the A45
Would you be interested in an opportunity working with Skanska?
You might be surprised by the amount of job opportunities within the construction industry. We have many office and site-based roles that we recruit for, either directly through Skanska or for roles that sit within our supply chain.
- Civil Engineers
- Administrative roles
- Ground workers
- Traffic Marshalls
- Stakeholder, Customer & Communications
- Health, Safety & Wellbeing
How to apply
If you are interested in a position with Skanska, our supply chain or within construction, please express your interest by emailing email@example.com, specifying the route you feel would work best for you or describes your current situation.
An EDAC representative will contact you to discuss your options and next steps.
Application deadline: 27/06/22
More about Skanska
Skanska, established in 1887, is one of the world’s leading project development and construction groups. Operating around the world in selected markets in Europe and the US, Skanska is listed on the Stockholm stock exchange and headquartered in Sweden’s capital city.