Communications Intern (2-month internship)
Location: Unit 1, Canonbury Yard, 202-208 New North Road, London, , N1 7BJ
Hours: 24-32 hours per week
Salary: £24,856 FTE (pro rata based on hours)
Planned start date: 01/02/2024
About the role
The Smart Works Communications team is a vibrant, close-knit group with the overall responsibility for the Smart Works brand. As we continue to expand, we are constantly seeking innovative ways to raise our digital profile and foster an engaged community, ensuring a client-first approach that accurately represents the charity.
We are therefore looking for a creative, proactive and passionate Communications Intern that can help bring our service to life through communications.
The 2-month internship is a fantastic opportunity to immerse yourself in a fast-paced team and gain first-hand experience in a dynamic charity communications function. You will play a crucial role in supporting the charity’s digital communications across social media channels and the website, as well as supporting the team on larger projects such as the launch of the Unemployment Index, Cycle for Smart Works and International Women’s Day.
If you’re passionate about the Smart Works service and want to gain experience on a wide range of projects and content creation, we’d love to hear from you.
The role would be based across our three Smart Works centres in London. There may be occasional evening and weekend work as the successful candidate will be part of the wider centre team, supporting with networking and key events support.
Duties and responsibilities
The successful candidate will support on a range of activities, including:
- Telling the Smart Works story through our social media channels and website, identifying opportunities to do this in creative ways.
- Creating regular content such as highlighting the daily activities in our centres, and actively seeking media and content opportunities.
- Supporting the communications team in engaging with the Smart Works community externally, which includes daily engagement on our social media channels.
- Supporting the communications team on larger projects and campaigns such as Cycle for Smart Works, International Women’s Day, and Client Case Studies.
- Assisting with the analysis of our communications data and evaluation of current collateral to generate new ideas and innovate as a team
- Supporting the wider team as required with service delivery
- A creative and proactive individual, always coming up with new, fun and engaging ideas
- Passionate about digital communications, confident using popular social media platforms and familiar with digital content creation software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, understanding the importance of being a brand guardian.
- Thrives working in a collaborative and fast paced environment
- Passionate about the Smart Works service and a client first approach to communications
Smart Works promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion in our workplace. We particularly welcome applications from black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates, disabled candidates, and candidates with lived experience of unemployment as we would like to increase the representation of these groups at Smart Works.
Benefits, terms and conditions
- Part time, 2-month internship (24-32 hours per week), flexibility in working pattern to be discussed at interview. Typical working hours 9 am-5 pm in line with centre opening hours.
- Based across our three London centres. Due to the nature of the role, there will be minimal working from home although happy to discuss some flexibility at interview.
- Salary of £24,856 (pro rata based on hours)
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Positive working environment with investment in training and progression.
- VIP access at Smart Works sales, events and pop-up shops.
- All successful applicants must provide references and complete a satisfactory Basic DBS check.
How to apply
Please submit a CV and answer the following questions via our recruitment portal here by Monday 8th January 2024 at 09:00am.
- Why are you interested in the role of Communications Intern? (Max 250 words)
- Why do you want to work at Smart Works? (Max 250 words)
- Can you tell us about something creative you’ve done recently and what you enjoyed about it? (This may be in your personal or professional life, it does not have to be a work example) (Max 250 words)
If you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations for the application and recruitment processes, please contact email@example.com about submitting a manual application.
How to apply
Apply for this opportunity using the web link below
Application deadline: 08/01/2024
More about Smart Works
Smart Works is a UK charity that provides high quality interview clothes and interview training to unemployed women in need. We harness the power of clothes and confidence to allow a woman to be her best at a crucial moment in her life, giving her the confidence, the self-belief and the practical tools required to succeed at interview and transform her life.