Smart Works Newcastle Communications Assistant
Salary: £22,700 – £24,000 FTE depending on experience
Planned start date: 01/06/2023
About Smart Works
Smart Works is a female employment charity that dresses and coaches women for interview and job success. Our purpose is to inspire and empower all women who need help getting into work. We listen to our clients and use the power of high-quality clothing and one-to-one coaching to help them see their true potential and succeed at interview.
After visiting Smart Works, 69% secure a job within a month, gaining financial independence and transforming their lives.
The Smart Works service is delivered in London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham, Newcastle, Reading and Leeds. Over the past nine years, Smart Works has helped over 30,000 women. It is our mission that any woman who needs our service should be able to find her way to a Smart Works centre.
This is a hugely exciting time for Smart Works in Newcastle as we enter the second year of our Three-Year Plan, working to support 1000 women each year. We are delighted to be expanding our team and the Communications Assistant is key to ensuring every client has an outstanding experience with Smart Works Newcastle.
About the role
We are recruiting for a Communications Assistant based in our Newcastle centre, to lead on telling the story of Smart Works Newcastle through the creation of creative and informative content, and excellent engagement initiatives. This is a new and exciting opportunity, responsible for producing high-quality design work across a range of digital and printed media, including leaflets, invites and presentations, whilst developing content and engagement on our social media channels such as LinkedIn and Instagram, and our website.
Our team is friendly and professional, and we work closely together to make sure every client has an outstanding experience when they visit us, and the successful candidate will also support on service delivery where required. Therefore this role requires a collaborative approach, enthusiastic creativity and excellent organisation. If you’re passionate about supporting women, then this is an ideal opportunity for you.
The role would be based in Newcastle city centre, and there will be occasional evening and weekend work as the role holder may be asked to provide key events support.
Smart Works Newcastle is part of Smart Works Charity, with Smart Works centres across the UK. There will therefore be some travel and frequent liaison with local centres across the UK and HQ in London, to support induction and training, as well as the day-to-day role.
All successful applicants will be required to provide references, have the right to work in the U.K and complete a basic DBS check.
Duties and responsibilities
- Developing content for and managing the engagement of Smart Works Newcastle social media channels, identifying opportunities to tell the story of the charity in creative ways
- Supporting with the promotion and running of all fundraising and outreach events such as fashion sales, Referral Partner events, Cycle for Smart Works and the Great North Run.
- Developing the Smart Works Newcastle monthly supporter update email, with interesting content that encourages readers to take action and support the charity
- Updating the Smart Works Newcastle website, ensuring it is an accurate and engaging reflection of the charity and its activities.
- Being the main point of contact for all press and PR enquiries, working with our PR & Marketing Trustee and Smart Works Charity
- Identifying potential partnerships and managing relationships with local retailers to generate high quality wardrobe and sale stock
- Supporting the wider team as required with service delivery.
Skills, knowledge and personal attributes
- A proven track record of running engaging social media accounts (Instagram, Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook)
- Creative and professional design skills, with a great eye for detail
- Ability to use Canva and/or Above Acrobat Creative Suite
- Excellent organisation when multitasking across a variety of priorities
- Engaging interpersonal and communication skills
- Commercial awareness of local retailers, an interest in fashion and popular culture
Closing date: Sunday 21st May at 17:00 (GMT).
We particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates, disabled candidates, and candidates with lived experience of unemployment, as we would like to increase the representation of these groups within the charity.
Smart Works promotes equity, diversity and inclusion in our workplace and make recruitment decisions by matching the Charity’s needs with the skills and experience of candidates, irrespective of age, disability (including hidden disabilities), gender, gender identity or gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
How to apply
Apply for this opportunity using the web link below
Application deadline: 21/05/2023. First round interviews will be held on the 25th and 26th May.
Web link: https://smartworks.org.uk/careers/smart-works-newcastle-communications-assistant/
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
More about Smart Works
Smart Works is a UK charity that provides high quality interview clothes and interview training to unemployed women in need. We harness the power of clothes and confidence to allow a woman to be her best at a crucial moment in her life, giving her the confidence, the self-belief and the practical tools required to succeed at interview and transform her life.